When we first opened up our shop in Parkdale, our mission was to create a jam palace, filled with every fruit preserve you could imagine- a lineup of rotating seasonal creations with truly unique flavour combinations. But what paired well with fruit preserves? Well scones and tea of course! And so with a lot of love and care, our signature buttermilk scone was born. Little did we know that our simple, traditional recipe was about to take on a life of its own, quickly becoming just as much a part of Kitten and the Bear as our jam!
There’s absolutely nothing that compares to pulling a warm tray of scones out of the oven. The smell of melted butter and caramelized sugar swirls around you, and even though your fingers are burning trying to touch the hot pastry, you simply can’t wait to break them open and enjoy the rich steam escaping from that flaky inside.
We wanted to bring this special bakery experience into the comfort of your home, so we recently launched our Frozen Mini Scones for you to take and bake. Roll out of bed, pop a couple scones in the oven (dressed in pjs of course), and fill your home with the smell of freshly baked pastries like we do here at the shop bright and early each morning.
Always on the hunt for more excuses to eat a batch of scones, we have come up with a bunch of mini scone hacks that we are so excited to share with you! We weren’t sure where to start, but after some deliberation we went with a classic- the Baby Bacon, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sammie!
1 pack KATB Frozen Bake-at-Home Mini Scones
4 farm fresh eggs
4 strips artisan cured bacon
Your favourite cheese (we love aged cheddar)
Condiments & seasonings of choice (we’re into a sprinkle of Old Bay & jam)
- Remove your Frozen Bake-at-Home Mini Scones from the package, space evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake at 350 F. When you notice that the scones have started to turn golden brown (about 15-20 minutes in) rotate the tray and take the opportunity to place a small slice of cheese atop each scone.
- While your scones are baking, fry up your bacon strips and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- When the scones are evenly golden brown and cooked throughout, remove them from the oven and immediately sprinkle with freshly chopped chives (so they stick).
- Prepare eggs to your liking- my favourite is softly scrambled with a splash of milk whipped in, but Bobby & Alena prefer sunny side up!
- Break each mini scone in half, and build your sandwich to your personal breakfast satisfaction- stack your eggs, bacon, cheese, a sprinkle of Old Bay and a dollop of mayo, jam, ketchup, or any other condiments of your choosing.
- Place the cheesy top half of the scone on your mountain of brunchy goodness. Your sammies should still be hot enough to melt the cheese inside, however if they have cooled off too much, feel free to return them to the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy into the afternoon!