Mother's Day is right around the corner, and we are so excited about the jam and tea themed menu we’ve dreamt up for our Mother's Day Afternoon Tea that we wanted to share some of the highlights with you here.
Finally, Spring is in the air! As I’m sure you can imagine, this is one of our *berry* favourite seasons here at the jam factory. Not only can we leave the door open with the beautiful, clean Canadian air filling the shop, but we begin to have all of the springtime bounty at our fingertips. The most flavourful berries and stone fruit of the year start to show up at the market, and thanks to all of the amazing growers that we work with, we also have the opportunity to get our hands on fresh petals- rose, violets, and elderflowers, all of which show their beauty during this sunny season.
What better way to celebrate the gorgeous weather than a tea-themed cocktail that promises to transport you to afternoon tea in an English garden?
1/2 tsp Jasmine Pink Lemonade loose leaf tea from Sloane Fine Tea
Edible Dried Rose Petals or Lavender Blossoms
Fresh Cucumber for garnish, sliced as thin as possible
- To make cucumber ice, add 1 large cucumber and splash of water to a food processor. Blend completely, and add to 1 L of water. Allow to infuse for 2-3 hours.
- Filter the cucumber water through a fine strainer, and pour into an ice cube tray.
- Allow to freeze overnight or until completely solid.
- To make floral dust to rim your cocktail coupes, add a tablespoon of dried flowers of your choice and a small pinch of sugar to a mortar and pestle. Grind until completely turned to dust.
- Pour onto a small plate or teacup saucer, and add a teaspoon of sugar for sweetness and crystalline texture.
- Using a small wedge of cucumber, moisten the rim of your glasses, and gently dip into floral dust. Set aside in a safe place.
- Combine Dillon's gin with the Jasmine Pink Lemonade tea leaves in a small bowl. Flash infuse at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, then strain directly into your cocktail beaker.
- Continue to add the Lillet Blanc, bitters, and honey syrup.
- Fill ¾ of the way with your homemade cucumber ice, stir thoroughly for approximately 1 minute, or until sufficiently cooled.
- Strain through a julep into your floral rimmed coupes. Garnish with a thinly sliced cucumber wheel, and enjoy!
Cheers to Springtime and fresh florals!